Pages

Monday 28 November 2016

Dad (Robert William Bedford) the Pugalist!

In his latter teenage years Dad was a boxer, albeit an amateur. He boxed under the name of  "Boy'o William" and was about to become professional when war broke out which put an end to his aspirations. (Though I think secretly Mum had a bit to say about it too!)

He used to go to fairgrounds and earn a few shillings by "staying a round" with the fairground boxer!!

He also tried to get me to follow in his footsteps, training me at an early age.
I joined the Harris Lebus Boxing Club when I was 14, with Dad as my coach and subsequently I did win the Tottenham Grammar  School boxing championship, but the novelty soon waned after a couple of heavy defeats!! 
I think that saddened Dad but Mum was delighted.

No comments:

Post a Comment