Pages

Friday 30 December 2016

Dad the Milkman - and Hero!


After leaving Harris Lebus Dad became a milkman for United Dairies.
I don't remember exactly how long the job lasted but it was several years, I know this because all through my younger teenage period I went with him at weekends. Getting up at 5am to go out in all weathers was no fun at all but it had to be done if I wanted some pocket money!

It was during this time there was a huge influx of immigrants from the West Indies and many of them settled in Tottenham. I always remembered they would want gold top milk (the best, with cream on top). If I mistakenly left a red top I was in big trouble when they caught up with me!!

Christmas time they would always invite us in for a drink (mainly rum!) and, yes, I do remember Dad getting a bit tipsy one Christmas.

Anyway, it was as a milkman Dad also became a hero. One of the houses on  his route was on fire when he arrived there. He could hear there were people inside so he went in after them - saving two women and two children from probable death.

Below is the type of milk float he drove.
Believe it or not you could get your driving license in those days for driving one of these!
Thankfully, Dad didn't own a car and didn't want one so the roads were safe.




1 comment:

  1. Dad used to his round and then come home and balance the books before handing in the takings once a week......remember well the day he saved those people and children.

    ReplyDelete