Pages

Thursday 22 December 2016

SPAGHETTI & BARBED WIRE

Since writing the article "Returning from War" in November, I've now come across a book which I knew had been written by one of the soldiers at the same P.O.W. camp as Dad.

Jen managed to get a copy on the internet for 1p!!
I must admit I felt a twinge of anger that she got it for 1p because I felt the price demonstrated a lack of respect for the guys who had suffered so much during those years.

Anyhow, here's a picture of the book cover.

As we now have a copy of the book it will be kept in a safe place so if anyone wants to read it they only have to ask.

Here's a flavour of the book, which starts off with John (Jack) Fox paying a visit to the camp after the war.


I visited the camp myself in 1992 and although the camp was still there, it was in an extremely dilapidated state. The surrounding countryside is quite magical so I sat for a while trying to imagine Dad there and what it must have been like for him, imprisoned, hungry and so far away from home.
The local village, Fonte Dell' Amore, is like stepping back in time so I assume it was exactly the same when Dad was there.

1 comment:

  1. I bought that book 10 years ago dad, I seem have it somewhere

    ReplyDelete