Pages

Monday 5 December 2016

On the Buses - Bedford Style!


I'm sure we've all had a good laugh at some time watching this TV series. It ran from 1969 - 1973 so the younger members of the family may have seen "snippets".
Well, for Dad it was a reality - albeit for a very short period.

After the war the government was tasked with finding jobs for all those soldiers returning from war and with no job to go to.
Dad was offered the job of bus conductor, which he gladly accepted as he had not had much formal education ( he left school at 14 with no qualifications).

First he had to be trained in the art!
Bob Bedford - Clippie

I don't know how long the training lasted but he must have enjoyed being with his fellow trainees!

Of course he had to be kitted out too..............

With Mum providing the finishing touches, he was ready to go.

Given all the professional photos taken at the time I think he was the "pin up" boy for an advertising campaign. Maybe for London Transport or possibly the government. Either way, London Transport Museum at Brooklands now have a set of the photos in one of their displays.


So, with a kiss goodbye at the gate of 35 Higham Road, Tottenham (Jen & my first home)
it's off to work.
Bob Bedford - Clippie
Bob Bedford - Clippie

Looking good so far...... 

Bob Bedford
Hmmm, I think I know how this works!!

What I forgot to mention, and I suspect so did Dad, was that he had a seriously fiery temper which was great before the war when he was going to become a professional boxer, but not so good for dealing with the public.
All I know is a certain passenger was very rude to Dad and found himself on the floor before he knew what had happened. This was about 6 months ( I'm guessing, but it wasn't long) into Dad's career and ended it rather abruptly!!

~

Any more fares please!

~




No comments:

Post a Comment